Below are a few of our previous Fun Facts!
Click on the question to reveal the answer and test your knowledge!
What is tufa and where was it found?
Masses of tufa built up around the springs at Wellsville and were mined. Tufa is a porous rock composed of calcium carbonate and formed by precipitation from water, e.g. around mineral springs. It is used in gardens and pond features, alpine rockeries, rock walls and fountains. See photo below of the tufa towers at Mono Lake in California.
When the Stout School, on Cherry Creek Road, was built in 1908, how many months did the school term last?
The school term lasted for 3 months.
What is a Granger?
A granger is a farmer.
What is a Grange?
The Patrons of Husbandry, or the Grange, was founded in 1867 to advance methods of agriculture, as well as to promote the social and economic needs of farmers in the United States.
In what years were Texas Creek, Cotopaxi, Coaldale, Howard, Swissvale and Wellsville established?
Texas Creek was established in 1875 and named by Joseph Lamb and a companion moving Texas Longhorn cattle north to Leadville.
Cotopaxi was established in 1870 and named after a volcano in Ecuador.
Coaldale was established in 1871 with the Hayden family the first to settle there.
Howard was also established in 1871. Some of the original settlers to the area were Jonah Peregrine, William Stout and family, and John Howard.
Swissvale was established in 1881 by Max Zeise, a Swiss dairy man.
Wellsville was established in 1881 by George Wells as a pleasure resort with guests coming to enjoy the mineral hot springs.
What is Salida Blue?
Salida Blue is a high-grade granite used for headstones. It was mined at Cameron Mountain, which is near Whitehorn.
What are the five well-known cemeteries in Western Fremont County?
The following cemeteries are listed in order of their establishment:
- Howard (1874)
- San Isabel View (1875)
- Coaldale (1879)
- Cotopaxi (1882 – Also designated as a Heritage Site)
- Whitehorn (1899)
How many cords of wood could a charcoal kiln hold?
Up to 26 cords, depending on the size of the kiln.
Where is the Harvey Bridge?
The Harvey Bridge is located in Parkdale. Parkdale sits near the river, with a store, school and post office on one side and the railroad station and residences on the other. The bridge, which crosses to the north side, is known by the name of the ranchers who owned the land, the Harveys.
(from Carol McNew’s book, The Land Beyond The Gorge)
Construction of the “little white church,” which serves as Western Fremont Historical Society’s History Center was completed in what year?
According to the June 21, 1898, Salida Mail, the new Free Methodist church was dedicated last Sunday. (Hence the 120th Birthday Celebration of the “little white church” on July 4, 2018)